Lately I have been spending all of my free time knitting on the vest I am creating for my grandmother. I have worked on it while enjoying the company of the girls from the knitmore girls podcast. (Not literally of course) If you haven't given them a listen, do it ! They are so interesting and I really enjoy their podcasts. I must say though, when I first listened, I wasn't so sure about it. I listen to two others avidly and am somewhat of a knitting podcast snob. These are the only three I have found that I enjoy. But after 3 listens of the Knitmore girls Podcast I gave in. I am totally hooked and really enjoy listening to them. While on the note of podcasts, here are my top three:
I am sure that most of you know of all three, but for those of you who don't, definitely give all of them a try and listen to least 2-3 episodes before making a final decision on whether you like them or not.
The progress on my grandma's vest is moving along ever so quickly. After only five days of knitting, I have finished using almost four skeins of yarn. In a previous post was a picture of the vest after skein one was all used up. Here is my progress after using three and a half skeins !
Skein Two:
Skein Three:
Three and a half:
Because I like to sew in my ends as I am knitting rather than having so much finishing work by the time my garment is finished, I sewed the pocket backs to my cardigan with the Russian Grafting technique which I LOVE ! It leaves almost an invisable seam and uses no extra yarn meaning you don't have to pre-estimate how long your beginning/finishing tail should be. This means that I am already at the underarm point and have no seams to sew in. It breaks up sewing and knitting time and leaves me to be one happy girl :) I think finishing leaves many people with one too many UFO's (un-finished objects) Because I work my projects this way, I never have this problem !!!!!



I will check out the pod casts! Thanks for the info.
ReplyDeleteThe vest is coming along very nicely. I am enjoying the pictures of the process, and look forward to seeing Grandma wearing it. ;)
I'm really impressed! Looks so difficult...I shall have to give it a try someday. I will check out the podcasts, listened to the NeverNotKnitting once, but wasn't so sure. Perhaps I'll try the Knitmore Girls...
ReplyDeleteQuestion, are you making two vests? the middle picture looks like a different color? One 4 you, one 4 grandma?
that is looking wonderful. I'll reference your grafting link...it always stinks when you finish knitting and have a zillion ends to weave in.
ReplyDeleteNo, I am not making two vests, just the one ! The middle picture looks a darker shade because it was taken in the evening without a flash. I didn't use a flash because you couldn't see the calbes with it on ;) !
ReplyDeleteYou are light years past me in knitting techniques!!! I will have to sit and listen to those podcasts when I get some time. I am betting that you are probably done with that vest now and I look forward to seeing it. I bet Mom/Grandma will LOVE IT! Here's my email for that headwrap pattern: teachesl54@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteit is looking fantastic!
ReplyDeleteyour grandmother is going to love it!
i like your new february header too - very festive and fun!