Almost immediately upon opening the package I cast on to check my gauge
And cast on again to begin the vest ! I had spent about four hours knitting and had a good start to the vest when I took a second look at it; it looked too small. It almost looked my size. I became terrified and recounted my stitches. I had cast on 20 stitches too little. Twenty stitches. Ugh. Twenty stitches makes such difference especially when working on size US5 and US8 needles (or any needles for that matter) I almost cried. I may have said a few sentences I cannot say here repeatedly for 10 minutes After calming down, I sucked it up, undid all of my kniting, and re-wrote the pattern for the millionth (or what seemed like) time. This pattern is more revised than when revised it from the original copy and think that it will continue to need revisions. I can definitely say that this vest will be a huge learning experience. Beside this mishap, I have gotten through and am (as Kristyn advised) enjoying every moment of knitting this vest for my grandmother ! I am enjoying seeing the progress, working with a yarn I have never worked with, loving the colourful tweed my grandmother chose, learning along the way, and thinking positive thoughts of my fabulous grandmother with every single stitch !
Here are the cables my grandma and I decided to use for the main focal point of her vest. The 'heart' cables will be knit down the left and right center front panels of the vest. This exact cable and photograph was found in a book gifted to me from my parents for Christmas. 400 Knitting Stitches is an amazing book and I would recommend it to anyone interested in the design element of knitting ! It is truly helpful and most importantly, very inspirational !
And so, after only one day, and lots of time, I used up one skein and began digging into the second one !
I should get this vest done in no time !!! Right, ...... right ???!!!! I hope so !!!





It is so frustrating to frog work! I love that cable pattern though and I think it will be beautiful on a vest. I am going to have to check into that book, it looks wonderful for design!
ReplyDeleteThat's a beautiful stitch pattern (couldn't resist ordering the book right away)
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting on my blog
x C
I hate frogging anything... I bet your Grandma will really appreciate it all when it's finished.
ReplyDeleteWow...beautiful so far. I am not very good at the knitting yet. I can make scarves and that is about all I can do. I have done crocheting for so long that I still struggle with the needles:)
ReplyDeleteLovely blog!
I'm excited to see the progress on the vest. I did send you my email a day or so ago, so I plan to knit one of those headwraps when I get the pattern. I started another baby sweater tonight, 4 pregnant teachers at our school all due this spring.
ReplyDeleteOh man, frustrating...but will be SO worth it when you see it done. Cute, you're knitting a vest for your grandma. Nice tweed!
ReplyDeletethe yarn is gorgeous, i'll echo everyone else's comments that your grandmother will love it so much it will be worth the frustration of the frogging.
ReplyDelete