We had a change of plans today. I know I said we were going on a ski trip, but that was canceled and we decided to go skiing this upcoming Saturday! WOOHOO! Because Wednesday is a holiday in Halle, and no one works, we decided to take advantage of it and go to Leipzig!!! Oh, and as far as the reason for the holiday...I don't think anyone really knows (which I find hilarious) The holiday is only in Saxony Anhalt (the area we live)....no where else. (strange...eh ? We woke up shortly after half ten this morning, took our time getting ready, and were out of the house by noon. I should have taken a picture of my outfit, but I didn't even think to! I always think its fun seeing what people are wearing, so I will try and do this more often! Anyway, we left the house around noon and walked to the tram stop (7 minute walk) and then took the tram to the main train station here in Halle. We bought tickets to Leipzig which were a whopping 22€ !!! We found this outrageous. BUT, we made plans to go and were willing to waste 22€ (well, Robert was as I have no money haha) It is crazy though because it is much cheaper to DRIVE to Leipzig than to take the train!
Once we arrived in Leipzig we met Robert's mom at her work where we ate lunch in her cafeteria. The food was pretty good. I had an omelette with potatoes, broccoli, and some mushrooms with sauce. The portion was HUGE and Robert ended up eating most of my meal ! Once more, this is something I wish I had photographed. Now that I am blogging, I will try and photograph many many things!
Afterwards we walked around the main station where there is also a mall and looked around a few stores. They had some of the COOLEST shoes I have ever seen in this one store. Robert said he would buy them for me...but I didnt want him to waste the money. Now I am wondering if I should have wasted his money !!! muahahahaha! Maybe when we go back another time I will get a new pair of shoes!
THEN, we left the station to walk to the boulevard and do some serious shopping and looking around!As soon as we walked out I saw this wall of graffiti and thought it was amazing looking. The colours are so vibrant and beautiful. It really inspires me to paint and I think that I will paint something similar to this style tomorrow while I have free time!
As we were walking down the Boulevard Robert spotted a famous sculpture. He told me about it. If you are interested, here is some info about it !!! I think its pretty interesting. So this is called the Der Jahrhundert Schritt. In english we call it the 'Century Step.'
This is a really historical sculpture with cool historical background. The right hand is on the Hitler Salute, and his left hand is clenched into a fist. There is a red ribbon painted on his left arm as a sign of the working class. His fist salutes the workers which were two signs for two facism ideologies that are going on in Germany. Another symbol is on the left leg. The soldiers typically wore stripes and pants. The boots of the soldiers of the left foot represent the typical Infanteristenkleidung which many Germans wore in both the 1st and 2nd World Wars. The right leg and right foot are naked and symbolize the apparent brightness of military adventures and its result: naked poverty, a divided country, defenseless civilian population displacement and bombing, total capitulation. The leg seems much too long, the person is in a lunge position. Thus, the whole attitude is very unstable, so that the person is most likely to overturn. This giant step might represent a large time span exceeded by a whole century.
Then we passed the building where Faust Goethe was immoralized as his study in a scene in'Auerbach's Keller' which means Auer Brooke's Cellar while we were in Leipzig. Fist: A Tragedy aka Faust (for short) is a tragedy by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. His work is considered one of the most important and most spoken of all German literature. Amy, Drew spoke about this (which made it more awesome ;)) He said this was the main reason he wants to learn to speak German, so that he can READ this drama. (cool eh ?) You should show him the picture ! Though I didn't take a picture inside of the restaurant, I didn't know that we could until after we had left.
Afterwards we went shopping and I picked up some pretty neat things! I will actually take a picture of everything in the morning for you to see my goodies! Robert and I are laying in bed and are pretty exhausted from the day. I know today's blog was pretty informative and might have been a bit boring, but today was fun, new, and interesting for me!
I hope you had and are having a wonderful Wednesday. Goodnight and Sleep Tight!
Woah..... what a busy day... I feel tired having just read your account!!! Very informative as well.... anxiously awaiting your next blog Modish!!!!
ReplyDeletehaha! Awesome. I'll talk to Drew today and let him know about it-and maybe sometime I'll have a chance to show him the picture :) Neat that you remembered that. Loved the pictures and can totally see how the architecture and artwork within would be inspirational. If I could paint-I would be inspired to do so. It DOES inspire me to THINK more colorfully :)
ReplyDeleteyou should have seen it in person, it looked MUCH different....and way more intricate. I will maybe e-mail you the photo sometime. Its nice!
ReplyDelete