October 12, 2010

Morning Surprise

Yesterday Evening I made a simple spaghetti bolognese with sandwiches for dinner.  Robert really loves spaghetti bolognese, and so I was happy to surprise him with this as we haven't had it in a while!
It is shortly after noon on a Tuesday afternoon.  This month I am very lucky in the fact that I have worked many over time hours (in the past) and so, I have a lot extra time off.  Right as I was about to leave and hop onto my bike this morning, Heike from work called me and told me that I didn't need to come into work and that I could enjoy the day off !  How exciting is that to hear :)  As soon as she told me I thought, yippee, time for some serious knitting !!!  
Last winter, while at my parent's house for Christmas Holidays, Robert and I looked through my boxes of yarn and he chose his favorite skein for a hat he wanted me to knit.  He is really into these baggy-oversized hats and so he asked me to knit one for him using this yarn featured below and of course, I said that I would.  However, I became lazy knitting him a hat because sometime it can get quite boring knitting something so simple and so after time, I moved onto other projects and forgot about his hat !  This winter though, I wanted to have his hat finished right before the cold weather began.  I managed to finish it this morning before my work called me.  This is a picture of me wearing his hat as well as the finished product.  It looks way cooler on than in the picture of the hat alone.  It was knit using Hand Dyed 100% wool coming from Chile.  I really enjoy the yarn and am excited that Robert will now have a hat that he will really enjoy as well !
Now that I have finished Robert's hat, I am currently working on 2 separate projects.  A couple of months ago, I received a package from my sister with some goodies inside.  This sock yarn and book was included in the package and I am finally getting around to begin knitting the socks which are featured on the cover of the book 'The Sock KNitting Kit'(shown below).  The yarn is luxuriously soft and has a marino wool feel.  Marino wool is what is known in the knitting world as 'poor man's cashmere,'  Marino wool is no where near cheap however, but in comparison to cashmere, there definitely is a price difference.
I have recently fallen in love with a home store near our flat.  It is about a five minute bike ride from where we live and has such great home decor.  It isn't huge or anything, but the selection is great.  We have recently purchased new dinner plates, dessert plates, cereal bowls, and two serving trays from this store.  Something which is extra special about this store is that they even carry YARN and let me just tell you, the selection is quite small, but great.  Almost all of the yarns carried in their store are 100% natural.  I almost always chose a natural yarn when knitting, as I don't like synthetic ones.  Call me a yarn snob if you want, but they are nicer to knit with and better for the environment.  A couple of days ago, I went into the store and purchased two skeins of coloured sock yarn.  I have decided to use them for baby items.  I will knit these baby socks with the variegated sock yarn and use the yellow yarn for the hearts and other detail for the sock.  I am very excited to see how they turn out and am quite sure they will be completely adorable.  I am pretty positive I will be able to get three pairs of socks from the two skeins.
 Now if you will excuse me, I will pour myself a glass of tea, get out my yarn and knitting needles and snuggle up on the couch and begin my little knitting adventure for the day :)

1 comment:

  1. Your dinner looks really good! It looks like you are using your new dinner plates. They are nice!! I am happy to see that you are knitting, and enjoying it! You are a good knitter. I like all of the pictures that you post!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Awww, your comment means so much ! Thank you for taking the time to brighten up my day :)